A lot of the big celebrations and parades usually associated with St Paddy’s Day have been canceled, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the holiday–though please, please don’t go out to a crowded pub to do it!
I have a strong Irish heritage, so St Patrick’s Day has always been special to me and my family. Corned beef and cabbage was an annual treat growing up, and a tradition I’ve carried on myself. (Proving I’m a true Irish-American, since the meal is more popular in the USA than in Ireland!) Fortunately I picked up the corned beef on Thursday, so we’re ready for the meal without even leaving the house.
We’ll be eating corned beef in while counting our blessing today, and practicing social distancing.
If you want to join me in celebrating, while staying home, here is my favorite crock pot recipe:
- Corned Beef Brisket, with season packet
- 8 to 12 red potatoes (or other small waxy potatoes)–halved or left whole depending on size
- about six chopped carrots– cut into generous 1inch chunks
- 1 to 2 medium onions–quartered
- Ginger Ale (12oz can)
- Cabbage–cut into wedges
- Optional: garlic, bay leaf
- Place onion, carrots and potatoes on the bottom of the crock pot. Add corned beef brisket and seasoning packet. Add optional garlic and bay leaf. Pour ginger ale around outside of brisket, add water until meat is just covered.
- Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. (or 4 to 5 hours on high)
- Add cabbages wedges and cook for another hour (or 45mins on high)
- Cut meat across the grain to serve, and remove vegetables with a slotted spoon.
I like to serve the corned beef with a little bit of stone ground mustard, though that’s a total matter of taste.
And if you don’t feel like celebrating that’s okay too. These are strange and difficult times. I do hope you are doing some self care, whether that means a walk outside, stress baking or curling up with a good book. I think we could all be a little gentler with each other and ourselves these days.
What are you doing to stay safe and sane today?
Jaycee Jarvis has been an avid romance reader since devouring all the Sweet Dreams books her middle school library had to offer. Also a fantasy fan from an early age, she often wished those wondrous stories had just a bit more kissing. Now she writes stories with a romantic heart set against a magical backdrop, creating the kind of book she most likes to read. When not lost in worlds of her own creation, she resides in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, three children and a menagerie of pets.
Jaycee is a Golden Heart® finalist and author of the Hands of Destin series. The award winning first book in that series, Taxing Courtship, released in June 2018.
Learn more about her around the web:
- Website: www.jayceejarvis.com
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JayceeJarvis
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJayceeJarvis
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/18092674.Jaycee_Jarvis
- BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jaycee-jarvis